Imagine strolling down the street, and you walk past a lady smelling heavenly and divine.
The scent is so angelic that it reminds you of the cool oceanic sea breeze mixed with the fresh white sandy beaches smell complete with a sizzling celebratory champagne aroma.
Wouldn’t that make you turn your head and want to know more about her scent?
And wouldn’t you want to have the same effect on people by merely blessing them with your scent? So read on and find out how you can get to that level.
Do you have any idea what the lady had on? Can you tell if it’s perfume or deodorant?
Well, this piece will highlight the difference between perfume and deodorant so that the next time you meet someone with a fantastic aroma, you will know whether it is deodorant or perfume.
But first, let’s take a brief detour to find out what each is, and then make the comparison better later on.
- 1 Understanding What is Perfume and Deodorant
- 2 What Makes Deodorant Different from Perfumes?
- 3 Pros and Cons Deodorants
- 4 Pros and Cons Perfumes
- 5 What is Better for the Indian Climate
- 6 Types of Deodorant
- 7 Types of Perfumes
- 8 The Difference in Applying Perfumes and Deodorants
- 9 Can Perfumes Last While Playing Sports?
- 10 Take away
Understanding What is Perfume and Deodorant
What is perfume?
A perfume is pleasant smelling fragrant oil that may or may not have solvent mixtures. Perfumes are applied directly to a person’s skin, where it radiates its divine scent along the bouquet’s life span.
Perfumes have different scent life spans depending on the type of fragrance it is. They are so many in the market, and they differ in perfumed oil concentration, duration of scent, and solvents used. All of which will be discussed on this post.
What is deodorant?
Deodorants are skincare cosmetics that have one primary function— to keep you from smelling sweaty. They are used under the armpits, which is the primary source of body sweat.
Deodorants are also very helpful in keeping the skin bacteria-free. When the fats and proteins that occur naturally on our skins mix, they produce the unpleasant odor of sweat. Deodorant helps neutralize these reactions and have you smelling fresher longer.
Deodorants also regulate the skin’s pH, ensuring that bacteria cannot dwell on it to produce an unpleasant smell. Certain types of deodorants include probiotics, which consume harmful bacteria.
What Makes Deodorant Different from Perfumes?
The reason for the application
The difference between perfume and deodorant is first the reason for usage. Perfumes are used to adorn and make a person smell a particular way, while deodorants have the function to kill or suppress odor-causing bacteria on the skin.
The locations of the application
Most deodorants are only applied under the armpits since that are where the sweat glands are located. On the other hand, perfumes are used to the body’s pulse points to radiate the fragrance. These pulse points are the wrist, forearm, armpits, neck, and chest areas.
Yet another difference between perfume and deodorant is the composition they are formulated with. Both might be very fragrant, but deodorants tend to have a more intense scent when compared to perfume.
Also, Perfumes have aromatic oils mixed with aromatic solvents, while deodorants have the fragrant aspect combined with bacteria-killing solutions in the formula.
Their market prices
As you compare the difference between perfume and deodorant, pricing should be one of the differing factors. Perfumes tend to be more expensive since they undergo more refinement processes, and they also come in fancy packages.
Deodorants are nothing fancy, as they usually come in a pressurized can or a glass roll-on bottle that retails for very affordable prices.
Pros and Cons Deodorants
- Deodorants are very easy to use regardless of the type you go for; you will not need an instructional guide on using them.
- Deodorants are very pocket-friendly, and you can acquire from any retail shop in almost every location.
- Deodorants are very versatile; you can use them as your prominent scent while they get to kill your natural body odor.
- Because they are of different kinds, you are free to choose what suits you best and for what occasion. Sprays are perfect for usage after or before hitting the gym.
- If you are a person who enjoys green products or you do have allergies to perfumes, deodorants are a great substitution that gives you good service. Using the solid tabs or roll-ons is your best bet for a safe sneeze-free application in the case of allergies.
- Crossing the line between over-application and using a deodorant just at the right amount can be a bit hard for some people. And this result in someone having a scent that is overpowering and can cause respiratory nuances to people around them.
- Deodorants are notorious for leaving streaks of stain on clothes, especially under the armpits. Even when someone sprays applies on the cloth, it sticks an apparent deodorant map that will make you insecure the entire day.
- You have to wait for certain types of deodorants to dry before dressing makes them a bit time-consuming.
Pros and Cons Perfumes
- Perfumes are available in very many types, sizes, scents, concentrations, and so much more. The pool of what to choose when compared to deodorants is vast and wide.
- You have a better say in choosing the right scent for you in perfume, and you can even have it especially blended for you.
- Perfumes are classier and more elegant.
- Perfumes help in mood-boosting mainly because of the essential oils they might have. Some have the effect of also relaxing the body, healing it, and so much more.
- Perfumes enrich your ego and make you confident. Smelling great works to pamper your ego, and this translates to being more productive.
- Perfumes, depending on its composition, help you lead a healthy life. Some fragrances contain microbial elements, which keeps things like insects, bacteria, fungi, and viruses at bay.
- People of all ages may wear perfumes. Today even children have their collections of perfumes in retail fragrance stores.
- Perfume allergies are common because of some of the elements used in making the perfumes and the individual chemical compounds found in some of the scents used. For example, skin rashes may occur on someone sensitive to linalool, which is prevalent in perfumes with cinnamon and rosewood, among other citrusy fruits and plants.
- Perfumes are expensive, and not everyone can afford the original scents.
- Finding a particular scent might be hard to find since some perfumes are limited editions; once sold, you may never see the same formulation.
- Perfumes could be a trigger to headaches and migraines.
- Overexposure to perfumes might also lead to respiratory issues like sneezing, coughing, and possibly triggering sinuses or an asthma attack.
What is Better for the Indian Climate
The Indian Climate is hard to generalize since it is a big country.
Parts of southern India are generally hotter than the northern regions, but the temperature never goes below 10 degrees Celsius in the colder seasons in both areas. During the summer, the heat level could go up to 40 degrees Celsius.
Ideally, it is best to wear deodorant in the hotter seasons since that is when your body naturally perspires. And having a deodorant will keep you fresh and smelling great all day long.
Deodorants would also work best in the hotter regions and times since they do not evaporate as fast as a perfume.
During the colder regions or seasons, perfume would do great since you sweat less during these times. But that does not mean that you cannot wear deodorant in these times either. It all boils down to the individual and their specific reasons to use either of the two products.
All in all, both are wearable in Indian culture and climate, and it’s for you to choose which is comfortable with your reasons, purpose or intended use.
Types of Deodorant
There are different kinds of deodorants we are to look at in this section.
Still, for you to grasp these types, you must first understand that there is another product usually confused for deodorants, and they are known as antiperspirants.
Antiperspirants have a completely different job, and that is to eliminate the existence of sweat. They do this by temporarily sealing the pores under the armpits not to sweat at all.
These deodorants come in a spray container that you spray on your body for an immediate effect. They are the best to use after a workout or for taking a brief walk outside.
For the best results, you apply directly to the skin by holding the can a few inches away from your body and spray. As well, give the deodorant sometime to dry so that it does not stain your clothing.
These deodorants come in a roll-on bottle with a movable head and allow you to apply the constituents in the container directly to your armpit skin. The solution in these roll-on deodorants is usually thicker than the spray deodorants.
Gel deodorants are far thicker in consistency when compared to the roll-on deodorants. They, too, also have a dispensing head that releases the product to your skin. You must also give it a few minutes to dry off before dressing up to avoid staining your clothes.
Solid deodorant resembles a bar of soap that has been placed in a casing that you uncover and hold to apply. There are ideally two kinds of solid deodorant, the ones that leave a visible mark and those that do not. If you do not want a visible trail spot on your armpits, always go with the invisible solid deodorant.
Types of Perfumes
This is the most dilute type of perfume found in the market since they last for less than one hour on the subject. Eau Fraiche usually consists of only 1 to 3 % perfume oil, traditionally mixed with solvents like alcohol and water.
Eau de Cologne
Cologne mostly refers to men’s perfume, has an entirely different meaning in the perfumery industry. Colognes are predominantly masculine scents, and that is why they are termed as men’s scents. They usually consist of perfume oils between 2 and 4%, and are very light, fresh, and sometimes fruity and will last you around two hour’s tops.
Eau de Toilette
Eau de toilette translates to toilet water but can also be referred to as grooming water. It usually contains at least 5 to 15% pure perfume oils mixed with only alcohol. They typically last the subject at least three hours after application.
Eau de Perfume
These fragrances usually have a 15 to 20% of pure perfume oils undiluted with either water or alcohol. Once you apply it, be sure that an Eau de perfume will last you five to eight hours. These selections are usually unisex, and both genders can use.
Eau de Parfum
These are concentrated Perfume oils with a perfume concentration of 20 to 30%. They are oiler to touch and usually last 24 hours and beyond. They are best for people who love having one scent on an entire day.
These are the purest perfume oils that come in small jars or containers. They are usually bought straight from the distillery and have the original oils directly from the source. This is what most perfume company’s purchase to blend the fragrances with their set formulas.
The Difference in Applying Perfumes and Deodorants
There is a vast application difference between perfume and deodorant. These differences are as follows:
Location of application
Perfumes are applied on several spots on your body known as the pulse points we mentioned earlier on the post such as the forearm and the wrist.
Different locations are the back of the knees, behind the ear lobes, and on your cleavage, if you are a woman. Your body heat tends to be warmer on these spots, and the warmth will react and radiate the scent all day long after application.
Perfume might also be used on hair to leave a beautifully scented aroma while you walk.
Deodorants meant to neutralize the smelly sweat odor are typically sprayed or applied in locations that you are bound to sweat most. And this is under the arms and sometimes behind the knees.
How to apply
There is also a difference between perfume and deodorant application procedure. You are meant to dab or spray a bit of the fragrant oil on the perfumes’ pulse points.
One thing to avoid doing is brushing these spots off to prevent something called crushing the scent where you distort how the smell dissipates.
Applying deodorant is mostly done by first shaking the container if the deodorant is in liquid form. Then, place the container a few inches away from your body and spray. If you use a solid deodorant or a gel one, apply on your armpits and let dry. Drying the product applies to all deodorant types to avoid staining your clothes.
Why you apply
People use perfumes as a boost and for personal preferences, while they use deodorant as a necessity. This difference between perfume and deodorant emphasizes that someone might go without using a fragrance but cannot miss using deodorant, especially if they have very active sweat glands.
When to apply
Both products produce the best results when they are applied right after a shower. But in the case of wanting to redo ascent of either, repeat the procedure using either of the two.
However, it would be best to shower first before reapplication for the deodorant since you do not want to mix the new with the old product, which already has blended with the sweat.
Can Perfumes Last While Playing Sports?
Well, it would depend on the sport!
If you are playing golf, which has minimal movement, then your perfume will last you the whole game and beyond. If you are playing football or an even more engaging game like basketball, you will notice a fading scent from the moment you enter the game and when you leave.
The main reason is that you are always in motion, which aids wind carrying away a substantial amount of your fragrance. Secondly, while you exercise, you sweat a lot, and this smell can mask the sweet aroma of your perfume, dialing it down a bit.
For these reasons, people in sports are fond of wearing deodorants while they are on the field and switch to perfumes while they are off the field.
Now that you know not only one difference between perfume and deodorant, but also a couple more things, you can now be a better judge on what you need in your collection.
Both cosmetic products serve a purpose, and they will do as discussed above. You have to take note of the cons of each and find a way around them.
All in all, whichever you use, we hope you will turn heads.